Thursday, August 17, 2017

John 3:30

Tomorrow is the day. A new set of kids will walk through my classroom door.

I find myself sitting on the floor of my room, being awkwardly emotional. Probably a mixture of nerves, excitement, and the fried chicken from our faculty potluck today . . . Lots of questions running through my head: Am I the one they need? Will I be enough? Will I be able to love each of them? When will my patience run dry? Will I be able to give them new grace every day?


But as I sit here thinking, Jesus reminds me of these things: He is the one they need. He is more than enough. He will give me the love, patience, and grace that I need each day.


And so my prayer slowly is shifting away from a focus on self: “Jesus, help me” to a focus on others: “Jesus, use me to reach them.”


I think one of my favorite parts of this job is that Jesus using me looks different for every single kid. It may be a smile, a hug, an inside joke, a deep conversation, attendance to an event, sassy sarcasm, a silly note, or maybe even my love of math. I don’t know, but my hope is that I take every opportunity that I get to show His love.


I always get caught up in wanting to be the inspiring, life-altering, awesome teacher … like John Keating from Dead Poets Society. But maybe that isn’t my purpose. It isn’t about me being the best teacher. It isn’t about me having the coolest activities. It isn’t about me being organized days in advance. It isn’t about me being a PLC leader. It isn’t about me being the funny teacher. Maybe, just maybe it isn’t about me.


Okay. That isn’t a maybe. It is a fact. I have not been given the opportunity to speak life and show love to 140 new students each year because of me. This opportunity has been entrusted to me for His Kingdom.  


So if you want to join me, my heart and prayer for the 2017-2018 school year is John 3:30.


“He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.”

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kendall Dobbs. I am a a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am blessed to go through your post on John 3:30 in the context of your students. One should appreciate your being sensitive to every student but more then that your realization of being sensitive to what Jesus reminds you of is more important which you did. As per your appeal I will join you, your heart and prayer for the 2017-2018 school year which is "He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less". I am truly blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in honoring Jesus in your profession. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete