Friday, June 20, 2014

Ducks, Smiles, and Fear

My book has been discussing how a lack of joy comes from spiritual blindness … The fact that we are surrounded by God’s glory and grace in our everyday routines, but we totally miss it. We miss out on the joy, His joy, of each moment. And the answer to this blindness is to “have eyes of faith and lips of thanks.” We have to LOOK for the “beautiful in the ugly” and give thanks for it. The author says: God is joy. Giving thanks is the way into joy because thanksgiving is the way we enter into God.

The author gives personal testimony of how stopping in the midst of stressful situations to find the “beauty” and give thanks for it has radically changed her perspective on life.  This book has got me looking for the small things that I often times totally overlook. Today, I was watching a few ducks and ducklings (is that what the babies are called?) drink water from a mud puddle. At first I was like, “that’s kind of nasty … they are drinking mud water.” But then I stopped and tried to look for the beauty in the situation and my whole perspective changed. No longer was I looking at WHAT the ducks were drinking, but I was watching HOW they were drinking. And it is fascinating! I don’t have the words to describe what it looked like, but it was unique and in its own way … beautiful.

And I know that the story of the ducks is random and may not mean much to you, but this is what God is doing in my heart. He is beginning to reveal to me (through my book, Scripture, and my surroundings) that there is beauty and joy in everything. I just have to slow down, intentionally look for it, and then give Him thanks for it. Joy has been a struggle for me for I don’t know how long now … who knew that I would need to come to Gulu, Uganda to discover some of the secrets to His joy?

Our time here is beginning to come to a close, we have less than 2 weeks left. I’m not going to lie some days that decreasing number sounds great, but then at other times that decreasing number makes me sad. Today is one of those days that it makes me sad. I know that I have mentioned time and time again how I am a secondary education major and that little kids exhaust me … but I am going to miss them so much! My “teacher’s” desk sits in between a table of all boys and a table of all girls. It is hysterical to see how the phrase “boys will be boys and girls will be girls” runs true no matter where you are! But I’m not going to lie; the boy’s table has stolen my heart. There are two little boys that sit at the end of the table nearest to my chair and they are precious. Reckless, wild, and loud … but they have sweet smiles that would melt any heart of stone.

Shame plays a large role in the classroom management here in Uganda. I’m not going to say that this approach is wrong because it has obviously worked for many, many years. But I do struggle with it. Students are getting praised for success and laughed at for failure. It hurts my heart for these 4 year olds to not be getting high fives and thumbs up for their effort. It is amazing how much difference that a little encouragement can make. When I started in the class 2 weeks ago, one little boy didn’t write much and rarely finished his assignments. And I have made sure that I go over and beyond in my encouragement and praise of his effort for the past 2 weeks. Today (only 2 weeks later) he is finishing before most students and writing his letters as perfectly as a 4 year old can. And he always comes to my desk to show me his completed work. My favorite part of the day is probably watching his face light up with joy when I give him a high five for the good job! I am going to miss that smile.

While I am enjoying learning and observing the education system here in Uganda, Mishana is still flourishing in the kitchen with the catering students. It is pretty cool to hear about the conversations, the laughter, and the memories that she is making every single evening before we go to bed. It is apparent that God is working through her to reach out and love on those girls. And like every situation, when good is happening and God is at work … Satan is doing his best to destroy it. I won’t share too many personal details, but the past two nights Satan has been attacking Mishana by filling her mind with fear of her safety. Last night, she woke me up so that we could have a time of prayer and she slept the entire night with her bedroom light on. Satan has a lot of influence on Mishana’s thoughts as soon as it gets dark outside … please begin and continue to pray for her. While this is very scary and serious, Mishana is encouraged to know that she is making enough of a difference here in Gulu for Christ that Satan is trying to get in the way. 


And our second prayer request is that we are exhausted. Please pray for energy and awareness for the next 11 days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment