Monday, June 9, 2014

Miracles in Moyo

On Saturday morning, we were invited to travel to Redeemer Children’s Home (Orphanage) in Moyo which is run my Sister Pasqua. It isn’t often that visitors get to travel to Moyo to spend a few days with the children because the trip is long. So we began the journey at around 1pm on Saturday with our driver, James, Sister Pasqua, and Sister Florence. The total time with a couple of stops was about 7 hours long.
When pulling up to the orphanage we were greeted with a song from the children. It was pretty amazing to step out of the van and have 25+ kids singing, hugging us, and shaking our hands. We were quickly showed to our room where Sister Pasqua let us freshen up before dinner at 9pm. 

That next morning, we attended 2nd Mass with Sister Pasqua at 9:30am. I really don’t know how to describe my experience, but I know that I will never forget it. It has been a very long time since I sat in a service where every seat was full and people had to stand. Since 2nd Mass is in English, it was not difficult to follow the order of worship. The sermon discussed the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians. Not only was this service fascinating to observe, but it was also very applicable to my own life. It is truly amazing how God can speak to me through so many different avenues.

After Mass, we visited the Sacred Heart Convent. This Convent is the starting point for girls in training where they begin the five year process to becoming a Sister. It was a beautiful campus with such beautiful girls ready to follow the calling that God has placed on their lives. After returning to the orphanage, we ate lunch and had the Sunday afternoon nap. I thought that only Oklahomans did that … apparently not! After a quick nap, I awoke to go play with the children. It didn’t feel right to waste the few hours that God had allowed me to be with these kids. Let me tell you, I should have gotten up earlier!! Those kids have moved me in ways that I can’t even express. How they have joy, happiness, and a love for life in the midst of having no family amazes me. My family is my life and I don’t think that I would have the same joy and laughter that every single one of these kids did.

After playing a few games with the kids, I sat down in a big circle with all of them and learned each of their names: Precious, Mercy, Madela, Betty, Jaqueline, Antoinetta, Annrietta, Lucy, Isaac, Patience, Winnie, Sam, Alfred, Gladys, Sandy, Elizabeth, Fancy, Harold, Patricia, Susan, Paul, Peter, Moses, and Benedict. 30 minutes to memorize names and faces that I will never forget!

Around 5pm, we headed to another Sacred Heart Convent campus, which housed the girls that were on the final stage of the process. These women, again, were absolutely lovely. The young girl that was giving us a tour took us to the chapel and had us pick one piece of paper that was supposed to represent the gift and fruit from the Holy Spirit. (I didn’t follow everything she said, but it was symbolic of Pentecost and the Holy Spirit ascending on the apostles.) My gift was the Gift of Council and my fruit was the Fruit of Modesty. Despite the fact that I didn’t really understand, it was a very neat experience.

We next went to the Baby’s Home, which is the orphanage in town that is for children from birth to 5 years old. I have no words to explain the experience other than I am sitting here writing this with tears rolling down my face. My heart breaks at the thought of it, but I am also so blessed to have been in the presence of these children for a few short minutes. There was a baby there that was less than a week old; her mother had died in childbirth. She was barely bigger than my hand … Yet every single one of these beautiful children had a smile on their face. We passed out some candy and instead of indulging in their candy they would take it out of their mouths and offer to share with me. Could they be any more perfect? One little girl, Gloria, didn’t let go of me the entire time we were there. I want more than anything to go back, pick her up, and take her home with me. I want to bring them all back with me, from the little girl less than a week old to the boys and girls that are in secondary school.

Mishana and I laid in bed that night just at a loss for words … Why did we get families and not these kids? How is that we get love from our parents each and every day when most of these kids lost their mothers in childbirth? These kids have impacted my life more than I will ever be able to communicate and all I know is that I can’t sit back and do nothing. God has put a special place in my heart for orphans and adoption. I don’t know what it will look like in my life, but I know that I will spend my life serving Him in this area.
As I sit here thinking about how much I love these kids and want to take care of them after only knowing them for a few short hours, I think of the love that Christ has for me -- the love that He has for all of these orphans in Moyo, in Uganda, in Africa, on Earth. It totally puts a new perspective on His love when you walk away from your world of comfort and visit those in need. I don’t want to give a lecture, but what are we doing with our lives? If you are reading this, I challenge you to take a step back, evaluate your heart, and look at your life. Are we sharing His love? Are we following His commands? Are we a reflection of Him in everything that we do?

I sit here ashamed of my selfishness.

We are now back in Gulu and so much more happened over the last few days. But nothing seems to compare to the special experience we had with these children. The Sisters that we are spending time with are truly angels on Earth … I am humbled to get to spend my days with them, to learn from them, to absorb their joy, and to observe the amazing way that God is using each and every one of them.

“Keep Changing the World” by MIKESCHAIR just came on my playlist. It is pretty fitting to this blog, check it out!

Current Prayer Requests:
-Mishana is getting better, but still not at 100% yet. Please keep her recovery in your prayers!
-A willingness to be flexible and available to do whatever is asked or needed of us.
-Energy – the time change and heat adjustment are both still taking a toll on us.
-Sister Rosemary, all the Sisters, and the work they are doing here in Uganda!


No comments:

Post a Comment